Saturday, September 30, 2006

Once upon a time . . .




. . . A patriot asked Jesus, "Evildoers have attacked our country and innocent people have died. What should I do?"

Jesus replied, "Love your enemies."

A father said to Jesus, "Religious extremists have bombed our great buildings and now my son is dead. We've got to kill them over there so they won't kill anymore of our children over here."

Jesus said, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God."

The ruler of the Great Land asked Jesus, "The terrorists want to kill us. I have to do everything possible to protect my people, don't I?"

Jesus replied, "What good it is to save your life, but lose your soul?"


Now is the time for all Christians to speak clearly, loudly, and with one voice: WAR IS WRONG! We worship the Prince of Peace. We worship the One who turned the other cheek to his torturers. We emulate the One who forgave his executioners as he hung dying on a cross.

Jesus left us with two weapons to combat the evil of the world: a basin of water and a towel. "As I have cared for you so you are to care for others." We had better first use that towel to wash away our own sins of silence and complicity. And let's do it quick -- the world is waiting.

I leave you with a song of peace.

Hat tip to firedoglake for the pic.

No comments: