Monday, September 25, 2006

A LETTER TO THE PRESIDENT


I originally posted this on my blog. But it no longer belongs to me. It now belongs to all of us. We The People.

Mr. President,

This is an open letter to you. I doubt you’ll ever read it, as I’m a nobody in your inner circle of worshippers. I am, though, a somebody to my family and my friends. And for their love, I exist. I am. We The People.
Mr. President, you compare yourself to Winston Churchill. You lie.
You say the world will see you as a great leader after you leave office. You lie.
You say God speaks to you, thus giving you an extraordinary messianic complex. You lie.
You speak of a hopeful world, one beyond terror. You lie.
You say ordinary men and women are free to determine their own destiny. You lie.
You quote the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which declares that equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom and justice and peace in the world. Those words are true, but your belief in them isn’t. Again, you lie.
You say we’re seeing a bright future begin to take root in the broader Middle East. You lie.
You say governments should trust their people. You lie.
You say that when leaders are accountable to their people, they are more likely to seek national greatness in the achievements of their citizens rather than in terror and conquest. You lie.
You say our country desires peace. You lie.
You say you respect Islam, yet you freely use the term “Islamofascist.” You lie.
You say to the Iraqi people that our goal is to help them build a more tolerant and hopeful society that honors people of all faiths and promotes the peace. You lie.
You say to the Iraqi people that we will not yield the future of their country to terrorists and extremists. You lie.
You say to the people of Afghanistan, that together we overthrew the Taliban. We will continue to stand with you to defend your democratic gains. You lie.
To the people of Lebanon, you say we see your suffering. You lie.
You say to the people of Iran we that have no objection to Iran's pursuit of a truly peaceful nuclear power program. We're working toward a diplomatic solution to this crisis. And yet, you salivate over the prospects of a war with Iran. You lie.
You say freedom, by its nature, cannot be imposed, it must be chosen. By gunpoint, if necessary. You lie.
You said Iraq had WMDs. You lied.
You said anyone in your administration who outed a CIA agent would be fired. You lied.
You said no would could have anticipated the levees of New Orleans would be breached. You lied.
You said you a uniter, not a divider. You lied.
You said “Mission Accomplished.” You lied.
You said gay couples seek to destroy marriage. You lied.
You claim to be a Christian. You lie.
You said private accounts would save Social Security. You lied.
You said those who oppose your views are unpatriotic. You lied.
You have a team of lawyers trying to figure out ways to bypass the Constitution, yet you deny it. You lied.
You said America doesn’t torture its prisoners. You lied.
You said wiretapping is necessary and legal. You lied.
You said you would restore honor and dignity to the White House. YOUR MOST WHOPPING LIE!

When my 5 young grandsons grow older and ask me what did I do to combat the evil you have unleashed, what will my answer be? That I voted AGAINST you? Is that really enough? I will print this letter, and have it leather bound, along with a copy of the US Constitution, to give to my grandsons. It will be my legacy to them. It will be my love to them. It will be my gift to them. It will be my heart to them. It will be my soul to them. And when my time on Earth is ended, it will be my voice to them, reminding them that the US Constitution is the most precious document ever written and they must honor, cherish, embrace and fight for it every single day of their lives.

I will whisper in their dreams the words We Are The People. And they will remember. Forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: