Monday, August 20, 2007

Reagan Diaries Called Bush Shiftless

From the Canadian website Global Research, (Via POAC, the best news aggregator by far, IMO) - an excerpt from the just-released Reagan Diaries.
May 17, 1986.

'A moment I've been dreading. George brought his ne'er-do-well son around this morning and asked me to find the kid a job. Not the political one who lives in Florida. The one who hangs around here all the time looking shiftless. This so-called kid is already almost 40 and has never had a real job. Maybe I'll call Kinsley over at The New Republic and see if they'll hire him as a contributing editor or something. That looks like easy work.'
I think I can safely put a LOL in here without increasing the number of cats in my future. Saint Ronny himself thought Dubya was a lost cause. Too funny! I'll even risk a LMAO on this one.

UPDATE: The Unruly Mob's first RETRACTION to my knowledge - it turns out this quote isn't really from Ronald Reagan's diary at all, but from a satirical piece by Michael Kinsley. Kinsley heard that he really was mentioned in Reagan's diary, and wrote a piece for the New Republic (vol. 237, issue 1, 7/2/07) in which he speculated on the nature of that mention. (details, from Museum of Hoaxes)

Even if this isn't true it's still damn funny - a tip of the tinfoil chapeau to Mr. Kinsley. And for the record it's the second time I was fooled in the last couple of days, the other time by a parody troll named Kirk on a thread at Americablog. The thing is, the real trolls are sometimes so off the wall that it's hard to tell the difference. Here's Kirk's response to a piece by Cristy Hardin Smith, which I think is brilliant.
I don't understand why you are calling Hardin Smith a "Christy". I saw no religion in any of the excerpts you clipped, nor do I think it is appropriate to mock Christians in such a manner. The irony is that Mr. Smith supports your view of the Senator's "hypocrisy", yet you still can't resist the urge to zing him. Even further irony is that, given Mr. Smith's lack of devotion to the G.O.P., I hardly think he can be labeled a Christian.
Kirk | Homepage | 08.20.07 - 6:06 pm
Now, for my money that is every bit as funny as the phony Reagan diary excerpt.

TAGS: , , ,

No comments: