Thursday, November 01, 2007

All Souls Day

Here is an angel from Waverley Cemetery, Sydney.

Marcia Clemmitt took the photo and wrote:
She's wonderful, isn't she? I think what I like best about her...him?...the
inability to know is part of the point, I would think....Anyway, I think what
I like best is not only the compassion of the face but the human depth, the
realness of it. So many angels are of the too-smooth-to-be-people variety,
which is one way to look at it and has its own beauty. But this one is a
*person* that you could meet on the sidewalk outside the grocery store, but an angel with an infinite power of compassion nevertheless. Whenever I look at the pictures, I think, we were right to hang around that angel! (The clouds were great that day, too.)
A person you could meet on the sidewalk.

Damn, we could only hope.

Our sidewalks are far more empty these days, of angels. The challenges to peace these days, with the Chipministration trying to dig up the muscle for the drum beat for war with Iran, are so VAST. I still say NO! Don't frikking do it! Don't reduce our "human depth." Why? Why would you want to?

Ask the questions in the following song, and answer them. Is it mine?



I never cease to wonder at the cruelty of this land
But it seems a time of sadness is a time to understand.
Is it mine? Is there no need to fight?

There must be a thousand voices trying to get through.

It's All Souls Day, according to my post title. I am pretty sure I understand. It's about all of our souls. And I'm not even religious.

TAGS: ,

No comments: