Saturday, January 26, 2008

Congressional Two Step

I'd be lying if I didn't add that I hear a sizable group of Democratic party members on stage joining in on the chorus.

That's nice. Fine. Sing it. But don't expect me to buy it. You can't seriously believe that after 7 years of lock-step obedience to and empowerment of a war criminal posing as a leader, I or anyone else will believe that you have "had enough." Because if you want me to buy it, "show me the money." Start voting in ways that restore the constitutional rights that you helped him gut. Start voting in ways that end the unchecked, unfettered, unaudited waste of money occupying that war-torn country, Iraq. Stop the president from torturing people today the way he used to torture small animals as a disturbed child. Stop protecting the President with retroactive immunity from crimes he and his administration committed. On YOUR watch.

Go ahead. Defend the constitution. I dare you.

Because you know what, you have no credibility. This, "Bush killed the party" song sounds rather a lot like the current Democratic anthem, "We oppose you George W. Bush, we won't let you get away with it, we're going to stop you, just as soon as we are done doing your bidding", "One Step Up, Two Steps Back" song.

And another thing. The, "Well, Bush lied to us about Iraq. If I'd have known then what I know now" line... You know what? You must not be very smart, because I knew he was lying when he lied, but you didn't, and I'm not paid to provide him oversight, but you are. Convenient for you, no?

And in case I haven't been clear about how I feel about impeachment, I believe that taking impeachment "off the table" because it would be a "waste of time" is failing to protect the constitution for personal gain. The oath taken wasn't, "I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States as long as it doesn't inconvenience my political career: So help me God."

Here's the oath taken by members of congress:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."
So, it's kind of like you're putting your personal aspirations ahead of the Constitution, no?

"The current salary for all Senators and Members is $165,200. The salary for the Speaker is $212,100 and the salary for the Majority and Minority Leaders is $183,500."

Think you got your money's worth?

TAGS: , , , ,

No comments: