A nice typology, I suppose, but I think it is incomplete. Given the fascist shift we are experiencing and the pending End of America, I have created my own new category: "Red, White, and Blue Collar Crime."
"Red, White, and Blue Collar Crime" is crime committed against America in the name of patriotism.
- Lie the country into war in the name of national security (make stuff up)
- Torture people (like you used to torture animals) to keep America safe
- Secret rendition to help the war on terror (kidnap people so you can do #2 more easily)
- Suspend Habeas Corpus (give yourself permission to imprison people on a whim) in the name of national security
- Spy on America for the good of America (Hey, Nixon did it! Wait, it's the same people doing it!)
- Award lots of no-bid contracts to your friends, while removing oversight and auditing functions ("Some people call you the elite, I call you my base") because this is essential to protecting America from terrorism
- And perhaps the latest, greatest crime: Pardon yourself and your accomplices (you cover mine, I'll cover yours)
Here's a clip of Cafferty speaking about Bush's deeply buried pardon of himself and his war criminal minions, along with a CNN poll about the post hoc pardon. (Text of clip available here.)
"...crime committed against America in the name of patriotism."
Even today, the Bush manipulators, led by Karl Rove, continue to utilize fear and hyped-up patriotism and a permanent war on terrorism as the basis for their policy agenda, the top item of which, at this juncture, consists of getting Bush elected in 2004. This, in order to continue to fulfill their primary objectives, not the least of which domestically is to roll back and, where possible, decimate and eliminate social programs that the far-right has hated since the New Deal/Great Society days.
Abrogate the rights and protections guaranteed to Americans by the Constitution in the name of American security and guess what you have?
Red, White, and Blue Collar Crime.
TAGS: Red, White, and Blue Collar Crime, Treason, Pardon, George Bush