U.S. to Talk to Syria and Iran, Rove, More...
President Bush says that if the Congress voted for a withdrawal, he would simply veto it.
Nancy Pelosi, when asked for comment, said, "I say to my colleagues never confine your best work, your hopes, your dreams, the aspiration of the American people to what will be signed by George W. Bush because that is too limiting a factor."
US President George W. Bush would veto legislation, crafted by Democrats, calling for a withdrawal of US troops from Iraq by late 2008, the White House said Thursday.
"Obviously, the administration would vehemently oppose and ultimately veto any legislation that looks like what was described today," senior Bush adviser Dan Bartlett told reporters as the president traveled to Brazil.
Earlier, Democrats directly challenged Bush on the strategy for the war, outlining a plan to pull US troops out by late 2008 or much sooner if progress is not made in the violence-wracked country.(more)
While Nancy works hard to maintain that positive, can-do attitude, let's take a puke at...
...The Iraq News:
- Unindicted co-conspirator Karl Rove thinks that some day we'll all really dig on pre-emptive war. You know, the way he does. When the day comes that everyone in the United States has to get a nose-picking, brain dead, son of a marginal-at-best former President, we'll see the upside of pre-emptive war (you know, genocide by war plane).
- On Thursday, Commander of U.S. troops General Petraeus told journalists that what he needs to succeed in Iraq is a couple thousand more troops. Oh, and it's gonna take a while, so eat a Snickers bar or something.
- Odd that General Petraeus didn't mention that our army is stretched to the breaking point. But keep those troops coming. Surge! Surge! Surge!
- If you can't stop the war, stick some progressive legislation in the spending bills. Why the hell not, eh?
- The Bush administration is open to talks with Syria and Iran on stabilizing Iraq. Sounds good doesn't it? We'll keep our eyes peeled for when Iraq starts stabilizing. By the way something, Iran won the Iraq War.
- According to the Chairman of Iraq's Commission on Public Integrity says corruption in Iraq is now worse than it was during Saddam Hussein's regime. We should bring that Saddam guy back. Whatever happened to him, anyway? By the way something, things were a lot better for women under Saddam too. Just mention that in passing.
VIDEO: Peter Jennings on the forgeries that led to the outing of Valerie Plame. More on that (from me) here. This video (blurry) is from June 2003.
Crossposted at Ice Station Tango
TAGS: Iraq War, George W. Bush, Iran, Karl Rove